Barbara Robertson - Studio Sale 16/11/19
31st Oct '19
Barbara was an original printmaker working mainly in the medium of linocut. Over many years she had perfected the specialised technique of relief printing in lino. This involves the cutting away of the original design drawn on the lino and inking the relief block that is left before bringing together with the paper in a huge hand operated press. This whole process has to be repeated for every colour, the re-cutting of the lino design preventing the over printing of previous colours. Thus the building of the design is achieved the very darkest colour being applied last and the relief of which is the only remaining part visible on the now very much depleted surface of the original lino sheet.
Born in Broughty Ferry, Scotland, she trained at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee. There she gained her diplomas in Printmaking and Illustration and won a major S.E.D. travelling scholarship.
Barbara’s work has been exhibited in France and Germany and nearer to home in the Printmakers Workshop (Edinburgh), and the Compass Gallery (Glasgow). She had shown her Prints in the Royal Scottish Academy since 1973. Barbara passed away in July of last year.
- Antique & Quality Furnishings. Saleroom: 1 Lots: 5000-5600 14/12/19
- Fine Jewellery & Silver. Saleroom: 2 Lots: 1-650 14/12/19
- Militaria, Fishing, Domestic & Rural Bygones, etc Saleroom: 3 Lots: 1000-1700 14/12/19
- Porcelain & Ceramics Saleroom: 4 Lots: 3000-3300 14/12/19
- Toys, Trains, Diecast, Vehicles, Steiff, etc Saleroom: 5 Lots: 2000-2600 14/12/19